[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Kevin Coleman <kevin at gabu dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 2 adsl
 Date:  Thu, 02 Sep 2004 12:01:14 -0700
I'm not a m0n0wall DHCP user (let alone an expert), but based on a quick
look at the UI, it doesn't appear that you can set up multiple pools for the
same network using m0n0wall. Also, it appears that you can't hand out
different gateways via DHCP per address pool. You can do it via different
networks on different interfaces. One m0n0wall can hand out addresses via
DHCP for both networks, but if that one m0n0wall goes down, the entire
network goes down. If you use DHCP on each m0n0wall, at least the remaining
half of the network could continue to function.

No fancy switch is required if you have two physical switches. Managed 24
port VLAN switches can be purchased on eBay for about $100, so it's not much
of a barrier if you wanted to go that route. (pun?)

You could do it with one network if you were to statically configure each
host for a different gateway. (WAY too much work for me.)You might be able
to use an alternate DHCP server capable of handing out the entire IP
configuration per MAC address. m0n0wall can only do IP address reservations
based on MAC address. It can't hand out a different gateway.

If you're just using m0n0wall boxes, I'm not sure that there is an easier
way. However, there certainly could be.

The setup is very similar to having two offices in different locations with
their own connections to the Internet and a connection to each other (i.e.
VPN). It's just that you don't need the VPN and virtual link because you
have a physical one.

(K)