[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Strange local DNS issue
 Date:  Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:05:15 +0100
Apologies to all if this is already known to everyone except me ;-)

I've noticed something very strange about m0n0's DHCP/DNS arrangement.  I
have my local domain defined as "minotaur", and I have clients "cronus" and
"rhea" which get IPs via DHCP.  "rhea" also has a DNS entry called "proxy"
added manually in the DNS forwarder section.

Pinging "cronus" and "rhea" works fine, but pinging "cronus.minotaur" and
"rhea.minotaur" does not work.
Pinging either "proxy" or "proxy.minotaur" both work fine.

Both these machines are WinXP boxes, and I've checked that "register
connection's address in DNS" and "append primary and connection-specific DNS
suffixes" are both checked on the clients.

It's only a very trivial issue I know, but it's been bugging me for a few
weeks now. Is it an idiosyncracy of m0n0's DNS/DHCP setup, or is it an error
in my config?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969