[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  "'Sven Kobow'" <s dot kobow at maul dash theet dot de>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Problems with DNS server replication
 Date:  Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:46:24 -0400
I think that this is a firewall issue not a NAT issue. By default, the DMZ
interface will not be able to talk to *ANYTHING*. The firewall rule on the
LAN interface that states LAN net:any -> *.any will allow the LAN to talk to
the DMZ and WAN. If you want the DMZ to talk to the LAN you will have to add
a rule or rules to allow the traffic. You can create a Pass DMZ net:any ->
*:any, but this would be insecure. I would recommend that you only open the
ports that are absolutely needed. If you need the DMZ to talk to your DNS,
open DNS. Other than DNS what traffic do you want to pass from DMZ to LAN?

On the types of NAT:
Inbound NAT is when you map specific ports destined for your WAN IP to be
forwarded to an Internal IP (LAN or DMZ). You will need to add firewall
rules (can be done automatically) to allow the traffic. (Other firewalls
call this "port forwarding")

Server NAT is when you want a multiple IPs on the WAN interface - you may
need Proxy ARP for the external IPs to work - depends on your WAN
connection. You can then add Inbound NAT using these additional IPs. See
Inbound NAT above - firewall rule creation still applies.

1:1 NAT is when you map *ALL* ports of an external IP to *ALL* ports of an
internal IP - again you may need Proxy ARP for the external IPs to work. I
believe you still need to add firewall rules to allow traffic into the IP
(not done automatically). I have not used this, but that is how I *THINK* it
is supposed to work. (Correct me if I am wrong...) What I am *NOT* sure of
is how the firewall rules are written. For the external IP or the internal
IP? On the WAN interface or LAN/DMZ interface? Or External IP for WAN
interface and Internal IP for LAN/DMZ?

Outbound NAT - I really have no Idea, this is my theory. I have read the
description on the WebGUI. I think you can make outbound packets look like
they are originating from an IP other than the default WAN IP. For example
WAN IP is 10.0.0.1 with 10.0.0.2 as an additional external IP. Packets from
172.16.0.1 (on the LAN) look like they originated from 10.0.0.2 instead of
10.0.0.1 (default WAN IP). You would need to create multiple rules, some to
handle specific source IPs and some generic source IPs. This is because with
this enabled, automatic mappings are *NOT* created. With this Disabled WAN
IP is used by default and mappings are automatically created. Again, I do
not use this, this is just my theory on how it works. Someone correct me if
I am wrong.

Related: Proxy ARP allows the WAN interface to respond for IPs other than
the WAN IP - only works when WAN is static IP or DHCP (not for PPPOE/PPTP).

Most of this is paraphrased from notes on the WebGUI.

James W. McKeand