[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Chris Bagnall <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Strange local DNS issue
 Date:  Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:21:26 -0400
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:05:15 +0100, Chris Bagnall <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc> wrote:
> Apologies to all if this is already known to everyone except me ;-)
>
> I've noticed something very strange about m0n0's DHCP/DNS arrangement.  I
> have my local domain defined as "minotaur", and I have clients "cronus" and
> "rhea" which get IPs via DHCP.  "rhea" also has a DNS entry called "proxy"
> added manually in the DNS forwarder section.
>
> Pinging "cronus" and "rhea" works fine, but pinging "cronus.minotaur" and
> "rhea.minotaur" does not work.
> Pinging either "proxy" or "proxy.minotaur" both work fine.
>
> Both these machines are WinXP boxes, and I've checked that "register
> connection's address in DNS" and "append primary and connection-specific DNS
> suffixes" are both checked on the clients.
>
> It's only a very trivial issue I know, but it's been bugging me for a few
> weeks now. Is it an idiosyncracy of m0n0's DNS/DHCP setup, or is it an error
> in my config?

I'm almost 100% sure the m0n0wall DNS server does not allow dynamic
updates, which is what you're describing with "register connection's
address in DNS", etc.

Is your DHCP server on your m0n0wall?  If so, and if you check the
"Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder" in the DNS forwarder screen,
they should be registered by the DHCP server.

-Chris