[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Webb, Paul" <pwebb at webbenabled dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Loading m0n0wall on a POS 486!
 Date:  Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:32:48 -0400
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:18:12 -0400, Webb, Paul <pwebb at webbenabled dot com> wrote:
> Hi there everyone,
>
>         This may have been asked before, but I didn't see it in the FAQ or
> the archive, so I'm posting it. Please don't slaughter me if it has been
> asked already.
>
>         I received a bunch of old PCs from a friend of mine who runs a
> business. As part of the batch of PCs, I seem to have acquired a POS 486 SX
> 25 MHz. The only thing I can think of that this will be good for is to be a
> firewall.
>
>         I plan on dropping a bunch of old SIMM memory in it and loading up
> m0n0wall on it, but it does not support booting from the CD. Is there a
> bootable floppy image I can dump to a blank floppy to get m0n0wall to boot
> up, load an ATAPI CD-ROM driver, and then reference the CD-ROM for
> installation onto the hard drive?

Are you sure that box will take 64 MB RAM?  I don't recall any 486 SX
boxes taking that much RAM, though that was so many years ago I could
easily be mistaken.  Also that probably doesn't have any or enough PCI
slots, and ISA NIC's can be a real pain to deal with.  Might need to
use the DOS utilities for the card to set I/O, IRQ, etc.

As far as getting m0n0wall loaded, your best bet in this situation
would probably be to put the HD into another machine and image it from
there, then boot it in the destination system.

-Chris