[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Dennis Hoshield" <dhosh at gaslightmedia dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] No carrier for WAN
 Date:  Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:55:00 -0500
Yes, there are still a number if ethernet devices out there that don't play
well togeather.  I had 2 D(on't)Link DSL routers that wouldn't link up to 2
PC's.  I think all the lights looked good .. Checked out cables, etc.  I
ended up putting a 10mb hub in the middle and they workd ... For about 30
minutes after I found the problem.  I pulled them out (one was a replacment
for the other), and replaced with a Linksys.  I couldn't afford one of the
Soekris boxes for home at the time.  I brought both of the D-links to the
office environment to test, and one displayed the same problem there.

Seems like the problem occurs when everybody plays auto-sync, but the
devices just don't really sync up. Making one of the devices 'fixed',  often
helps.

OT:
I've been playing with getting a m0n0wall Soekris image mounted, or it's
file structure on a machine, so I could attempt to tweak such settings as
well.  Power setting for wireless cards is another thing I'd like to have
access to.  I haven't tried runing scripts or command line options yet, but
that might be all that's necessary.  I belive I read on this list or new
features that there was, or pending, an option to run scripts at boot-up if
in a given directory.  That process should accommodate some of these extra
mods pretty easily without mess'n with Miguel's code ..

Thanks,
Dennis