[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Rothenberg" <seth at pachai dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Directly accessing the console?
 Date:  Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:46:44 -0400 (EDT)
> Ewww yeah thats ugly....maybe a laptop or wifi PDA =)
>
> You could RDP/VNC into the box downstairs or wherever from a laptop.

Andrew,
I may have missed the exact detail what the problem is -
though it sounds like Chet's idea is great.

I don't know if this is relevant - you can wifi/vpn to m0n0,
setting up a rule and route to that VNC server.

If what you lack is a *SPARE* network feed up on the roof -
you didn't mention if you can yank it off the network for
testing - or even just for a moment.
If you can pull it off the network for a moment....

<silly>
you could look at Ethernet 10-Base-T Splitter
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-785
</silly>

This is not a cable splitter.  It is basically a passive 2-port hub.
I can't tell you how it conforms to net standars,
but it comes in handy when your customer says "no signal"
and you put a splitter between the client bridge and the PC,
and you say, I have a link quality of 67...ping times of 3ms....
(and then you can say, that's a windows problem :-)

Seth
PS I had speculated that it was just 3 ports spliced together,
and it is, but with some transistors at each juncture.
It seems you can't just splice it together yourself.

PS PS PS!!!!  Note! I did not check to see if this device
is rated for use in a POE setting.  POE fancy footwork may
be needed, let me know if you have this problem.

(BTW, that gives me an idea.....