[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  chood at ruckusnetworks dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Duplex Settings
 Date:  Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:46:39 -0400
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:44:35 -0400, Chris Hood <chood at ruckusnetworks dot com> wrote:
> Is there a place or is it possible to change the duplex settings on the
> WAN/LAN ports?  I have to communicate with an Edge box I received from
> Savvis for my T1 connection.  Both the port on the Savvis box and my
> m0n0wall box need to have the same duplex (half), however I don't see a
> location to verify what it is set at or how to change what it is set to.
>
> On the Status section it shows each Port being UP and what it is connected
> at however only the LAN connection shows 100TX at (Full Duplex) - the WAN
> connection show 10TX but does not give a duplex setting.
>
> Any help on determining what it is set at and is there a way to change the
> duplex settings on each port?

It's set to auto/auto speed/duplex by default.  There is currently not
a GUI option to force speed and/or duplex.

If you go to http://m0n0/exec.php you can run 'ifconfig' to see what
your current speed and duplex is.

sis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet X.X.X.X netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast X.X.X.X
	ether 00:09:5b:07:9f:1b
	media: Ethernet 100baseTX <full-duplex>
	status: active

At exec.php you can run the appropriate command to force the speed and
duplex of the interface.  Most, but not all NIC drivers support this.

The command would look like this:
ifconfig sis0 media 100BaseTX mediaopt full-duplex

replacing sis0 with your interface name.

If you try to run this on a NIC that does not support these media
and/or mediaopt, you'll get the following:
ifconfig: SIOCGIFMEDIA: Invalid argument

For example, I have a vx NIC that does not support speed and duplex
forcing (old 10 Mb card though)

Of course this will be lost at reboot, so this isn't a viable
long-term solution.  I'm hopeful this option will be added to the web
GUI soon.  This isn't the first discussion we've had about this
recently (or even the first this week, for that matter).

-Chris