[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Wayne Marshall" <wcm at guinix dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] accessing netbsd.org from behind m0n0wall
 Date:  7 Sep 2004 18:55:45 -0701
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:54:46 +0200
Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de> wrote:

> Hallo Wayne,
>
> Wayne Marshall schrieb am 07. September 2004:
>
> [Please stop top-posting]

I agree; unfortunately other top posts were already in thread...

> >This is really buggin.  And www.netbsd.org continues to be the
> >only site we have this trouble with.
>
> Same here: also have a Soekris net4801, m0n0wall 1.1,
> DSL-connection. Browser (tried IE and Firebird on XP, Firebird
> on OpenBSD and lynx on Linux) just hangs and keeps waiting
> forever.
>
> >WAN is set up with PPPoE, an adsl connection.
>
> Same here. But there also seems to be some "specialty" with
> netbsd.org, since this really is the ONLY website I cannot see.
> Since I use OpenBSD as my main OS, I did not check out
> netbsd.org previously, your post made me try (and fail).
>
> Kind regards   Frederick

Thank you for another independent confirmation of the problem.
Surprisingly, we do get a successful connection from a Mac
(OS9.2) client, Netscape 7.0.  So it is some kind of interaction
involving netbsd.org, client, and m0n0wall.  (That is, this
problem is not observed using an OpenBSD PF firewall in place of
the m0n0wall.)

Candidate problems I can think of:

 * mru/mtu handling problem in PPPoE?
 * NAT implementation (why haven't the blocked return packets
been NAT'ed to the LAN address?)
 * IPv6 problem?

As for the latter, I even recompiled an OpenBSD kernel to remove
IPv6 support ("rmoption INET6"); but this did not alter the
phenomenon.

And what is it about the primary www.netbsd.org server that
causes this behavior, not observed among other sites?

It must be something simple, but at the moment I am just lost for
an explanation.

Thanks again,

Wayne

--