[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Terry Miller" <terry at millfam dot org>
 To:  "'Andrew Greenwood'" <lists at silverblade dot co dot uk>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Subnets
 Date:  Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:15:04 -0500
You lose 2 addresses per subnet for the network and broadcast addresses, so
a /30 is 4 addresses with 2 usable. /29 is 8 addresses 6 usable, /28 is 16
addresses 14 usable and so on. As long as the correct network address and
subnet is used there is no problem. mask /29 and mask /30 can coexist.

Get a free subnet calculator for SolarWinds or 3com if you have problems
doing it in your head. (Every one does sometimes).