[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Ruud Poutsma <ruudjah at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0 list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Request for 32-bit PCMCIA m0n0 image
 Date:  Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:59:25 -0400
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:12:47 +0200, Ruud Poutsma <ruudjah at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some old laptops laying around here, which i want to transform
> into m0n0 boxes. However, I am not able to edit the m0n0wall image to
> add 32-bits PCMCIA support. I tried to install FreeBSD, but after one
> full day of installing, i just could not get the damn thing work,
> tried multiple installation methods & PC hardware.

Good luck getting FreeBSD 4.x to run on a laptop (with functional PC
card support).  I've had less than stellar luck with 4.x and laptops,
on 4 different models I've tried, ranging from a Pentium MMX to a P4.
I haven't had any problems with getting 5.x to work on any of those
same laptops.

In my experience, and the experience of a couple other BSD guys I
know, 4.x and laptops don't mix well.  It would be difficult if not
impossible to build a m0n0wall image that would work consistently out
of the box on most any laptop.   When m0n0wall is on FreeBSD 5.x, that
will probably be a different story.

-Chris