[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Selling pre-flashed CF cards + adapters?
 Date:  Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:53:40 -0400
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:27:37 -0400, Ernie Zingleman <ks4q at zingleman dot com> wrote:
> Perhaps this might be a great idea but.......
> has anyone asked Manuel Kasper what he thinks about this idea?
>
> Manuel's terms of service allow for the redistribution of the software, but
> they don't address redistribution for profit.

m0n0wall is distributed under what is basically a BSD license.

"2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution."

This statement means, if you wanted, you could include this code in a
commercial project without releasing any of your changes, so long as
you follow what it says.  (this is the major difference between the
GPL and the BSD license, with GPL you would have to release your
changes)

Also under this license, anybody can sell the software at any price
they desire.

I don't speak for Manuel, obviously, but his intentions with this
license appear to be that he did not care if people profited from the
code.  Otherwise I'd imagine you would see a more restrictive license.

> Lastly, I urge everyone that has not made a donation to consider making one.
> This is a great software package and I think the effort deserves our
> financial support.

Agreed 100%!

Help other than financial support is also needed.  As the newly
appointed documentation editor, I'm very much in need of assistance in
getting the users guide completed.  Email me off-list if you're
interested in helping.

-Chris

P.S.  I have Gmail invites to offer, send me an email off-list if you want one.