[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Roy Walker" <rwalker at miracomnetwork dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PPTP -> Windows Clients problems
 Date:  Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:53:54 -0500
I am having some strange stuff happen with some Windows clients.  First
here is the setup.

Have the PPTP rule like so:

Proto    Source             Port      Destination       Port
Description
*          PPTP clients     *          *                      *
PPTP Passthru

The servers the clients are trying to reach are on the LAN and the LAN
interface has the Default LAN rule.

This would seem to me to allow any traffic from the LAN to the PPTP
clients and from the PPTP clients to the LAN.

I see the following in my firewall logs when the clients try to connect
to file shares on the network servers:
ng1       172.31.1.2       172.31.2.64     UDP

Note there is no port information on this, it seems like it is some kind
of UDP broadcast.

I also see these when the clients first connect, which is just Windows
looking for gateways and I don't think they are needed.
ng1       172.31.2.64     224.0.0.22       IGMP

On a computer that is not part of the domain, I do not have any problems
connecting to the file shares.  The machines I am having difficulty with
are laptops that are part of the domain.  These machines are all XP with
either SP1 or SP2 on them.  I have not tried using radius to the domain
servers, I don't see how that would really change anything.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you,
Roy Walker