[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] P90, 32MB RAM, SanDisk 8MB CF woes
 Date:  Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:53:58 -0600
Chris Buechler wrote:

>>Hi there,
>>
>>I tried setting up my current firewall (P90, 32MB RAM) with m0n0wall
>>on a SanDisk 8MB CF card.
>>Has anybody tried to do a similar setup, especially with 32MB?
>>Whenever I try to configure the basics, the configuration XML file
>>vanishes in a puff of logic. Could be due to the lack of RAM, but
>>right now I don't have the error messages handy.
>>
>You need 64 MB RAM to successfully use m0n0wall, since it doesn't have
>any swap available.  I know people have run it with less, but always
>run into problems with something (generally upgrades, but this might
>be related).
>
>This may not be the issue.  Regardless, having less than 64 MB RAM is
>not going to work in the long run.  You can probably snag some RAM for
>that system off ebay for cheap to bring it up to 64, if you don't have
>anything laying around already.

The box I provisioned for m0n0wall had 2x32MB pieces of RAM, one of
which turned out to be bad when I was running memtest86 before I started
playing with m0n0wall.

I ran on 32MB and didn't encounter any problems as long as I didn't use
IPsec.  I did not attempt to perform an upgrade as I'm running from a CD :)

I didn't put more then 5-6Mb/s through it at any time though, higher
load might make a difference.

--
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig