[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  "'Francesco'" <friscom at tin dot it>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] FW time update
 Date:  Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:54:08 -0400
The assumption is that you will be connecting the m0n0 to the Internet.
Thus, the box will be able to sync its clock to a time source on the
Internet. If you are building a VPN with-in a private network (no Internet)
and you want the dates and times in the logs to be correct, you will have to
setup a SNTP server on your LAN.

*nux includes a NTPd, if I remember correctly. But, you can also do this
with a Windows PC. To accomplish on a Windows PC this I use AboutTime
(http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime/index.html). AboutTime is a SNTP client
and server. I usually setup one machine on a LAN to sync its time with a
time source on the Internet and act as a SNTP server. I then point other
machines on the LAN to this server. You can skip the part about syncing with
an Internet time source if you trust the clock on the machine you are
running your SNTP server. My m0n0wall is currently looking to a machine on
my LAN as it's NTP time server. Note, I did not have to set any firewall
rules for the m0n0wall to get its time from my LAN, but I did for machines
on my DMZ (I call it LAN2) to access the NTP (PASS "LAN2 net":any ->
"timeserver":123).

James W. McKeand