[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Olive <chris at technologEase dot com>
 To:  Michael Scheer <listen at autechre dot de>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Website Filtering Plug-in?
 Date:  Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:01:33 -0400
Michael Scheer wrote:

>Chris Olive <chris at technologEase dot com> wrote:
>

>>I run all this at home (10 clients -- WinXP, W2K, MacOSX, Linux) and
>>it's ROCK SOLID.  Commercial grade, centralized firewall (MW) and web
>>filtering protection (Squid/Dan's Guardian) for the entire family...
>>

>You, your wife and 8 children ?-)

Ah.... no.  I think 10 nodes would be a better term.  Not 10 "clients"
-- although the server-class nodes I have access the web as "clients"
running jobs for XML-RPC email gatewaying, web page checking, web
scrapping to pager alerts, etc. as well as many other jobs that don't
target port 80 destinations.  But all "client web sessions," whether
originating on a server as a script or through a traditional browser
client, go through the proxy server.  All other web-related traffic is
blocked by MW.  Everyone is protected this way from the garbage that is
out there, including me.  (A very non-technical person in the household
holds the passwords to all the outer perimeter equipment; not me.)

This "approach" by the way is EXACTLY why a technology like m0n0wall was
sought out.  Your normal run-of-the-mill "routers" sold at places like
Best Buy and Circuit City (Linksys, Netgear, etc.) just don't have the
options necessary to pull this kind of thing off.

-chris
-----