[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Rob Diehl <diehlr at bellsouth dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Implications of disabling LCP packets in mpd
 Date:  Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:05:16 -0400
I was having some problems with my PPPoE DSL connection being dropped
(using m0n0wall's PPPoE client). After several weeks and much research
and frustration, I believe I have found it is due to m0n0wall sending
out LCP packets and not receiving any LCP echos from my provider
(Bellsouth).

Soo.... I found a way to disable LCP by editing /var/etc/mpd.conf and
setting the "link keep-alive" option to 0 seconds.

What are the implications of disabling LCP? If my modem drops connection
for some reason, will m0n0wall just sit there and not ever try to
re-establish a connection? What if a PC requests something on the
Internet, will it then try to reconnect?