[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Fwd: [m0n0wall] dialup
 Date:  Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:51:50 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Chris Buechler wrote:

> (another bitten by the having to hit reply to all to send to list,
> this message below was intended for the list)

I think that only pertains to doing it with the userland PPP
implementation.  MPD (already included in m0n0wall) can do it via
netgraph, and it appears that NETGRAPH_TTY is already included in the
kernel config.

> - add the tun0 device to the "device detector" when you first boot m0n0wall
> (now m0n0wall only detects devices with an active link)

I doubt that that would be the right level even if one *were* using the
userland PPP, since "detecting" tun0 with no PPP link established
wouldn't do much good.  But in this case it would be an MPD configuration
issue.

> - add (extra) webpages to the interface so you can configure dialup settings
> (like phone number and account information)
> - extensive testing to make sure everything works like it should (sigh...)

And for Soekris users:

An *accessible* serial port that's not the console. :-)

These issues are also relevant for dial *out*, for backup purposes.

					Fred Wright