[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Rodman Frowert" <frowertr at i dash 1 dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Doh! Captive Portal not letting LAN talk to DMZ (OPT1) without DMZ clients "accepting" to Portal Page
 Date:  Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:03:36 -0500
Melvin wrote:

> As you've already pointed out you could add another NIC, but from the
> sounds of things your concept of the DMZ doesn't really match what I would
> expect either.  DMZ would normally indicate public servers with some
> protection from the outside, but accessible to everyone.  Why would you
> have the portal enabled there?  Perhaps I've just missed the point, but I
> would expect to see it enabled on the LAN side, not the DMZ.  If you
> wanted multiple LAN segments, then it might make sense, but then I
> wouldn't expect to see servers in that group.
>
> --

The reason I have a captive portal enabled in the DMZ is because it is being
used as a public hotspot for wi-fi internet access.  My LAN is only used for
my employees so I have no need for a portal in there.  Obviously, I needed
an area to put the hotspot so that it was off my LAN and the DMZ seemed to
be like the best logical place.  I am wanting to add a few servers into the
DMZ now (i.e. web, dns, mail, etc...).

It will probably make more sense now to add another NIC to the box setting
up a second DMZ for the servers...