[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  Rodman Frowert <frowertr at i dash 1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Doh! Captive Portal not letting LAN talk to DMZ (OPT1) without DMZ clients "accepting" to Portal Page
 Date:  Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:23:03 -0400
Rodman Frowert wrote:

> Melvin wrote:
>
>> As you've already pointed out you could add another NIC, but from the
>> sounds of things your concept of the DMZ doesn't really match what I
>> would expect either.  DMZ would normally indicate public servers with
>> some protection from the outside, but accessible to everyone.  Why
>> would you have the portal enabled there?  Perhaps I've just missed
>> the point, but I would expect to see it enabled on the LAN side, not
>> the DMZ.  If you wanted multiple LAN segments, then it might make
>> sense, but then I wouldn't expect to see servers in that group.
>>
>> --
>

> The reason I have a captive portal enabled in the DMZ is because it is
> being used as a public hotspot for wi-fi internet access.  My LAN is
> only used for my employees so I have no need for a portal in there.
> Obviously, I needed an area to put the hotspot so that it was off my
> LAN and the DMZ seemed to be like the best logical place.  I am
> wanting to add a few servers into the DMZ now (i.e. web, dns, mail,
> etc...).
>
> It will probably make more sense now to add another NIC to the box
> setting up a second DMZ for the servers...

OK.  I agree that this is an issue if the hotspot is there, but I would
be concerned about putting servers on that leg, essentially for the same
reason I wouldn't want the hotspot on the LAN.  I think the new NIC is
the best solution.  I also see how not being able to ping things there
would be an issue.  Perhaps rather than only blocking certainly ports, a
better choice would be the ability to allow specific ports/protocols,
which you would define as whatever your choice for diagnostics would be.

--
Melvin Backus
Principal Wizard