[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Rodman Frowert" <frowertr at i dash 1 dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Doh! Captive Portal not letting LAN talk to DMZ (OPT1) without DMZ clients "accepting" to Portal Page
 Date:  Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:31:01 -0500
Melvin wrote:

> OK.  I agree that this is an issue if the hotspot is there, but I would be
> concerned about putting servers on that leg, essentially for the same
> reason I wouldn't want the hotspot on the LAN.  I think the new NIC is the
> best solution.

Agreed.  This is what I will do.  Since I will need telnet capabilities
(among other services) to the server, there is no point opening that up to
my wifi clients as well.

> I also see how not being able to ping things there would be an issue.
> Perhaps rather than only blocking certainly ports, a better choice would
> be the ability to allow specific ports/protocols, which you would define
> as whatever your choice for diagnostics would be

Good idea!  Punching a hole through the portal for it to not listen on
certain ports while it listens on everything else in a great idea.

Rodman