[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mark at ehle dot homelinux dot org
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Captive portal woes
 Date:  Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:18:33 -0400
Hello, Folks -

I have a bit of a mistery that I can't seem to solve.

I am working on a filtered wireless captive portal, using m0n0wall's portal
feature, and using IPCop just for proxy and dansguardian. I put each one
(IPCop, m0n0wall) on different boxes

Here's the problem:

Either box works fine by itself. I can hook my pc to the LAN port on the IPCop
box, WAN port to the  "mother-lan" here in the library (this lan is behind a
firewall, on a 192.168.1.X net) and sure enough, it transparently proxies and
filters content. Works slick.

The m0n0wall box works fine, too, when it is hooked up straight to the "mother-
lan" here in the library. I have captive portal enabled, no radius, the portal
contents page comes up and I click on the "accept" button, and I am on my way.
The page redirect works just as it should. A pop-up logout button does appear,
and does work. When I logout, I am see the portal contents page again, just
like it should. In fact, as I type this, I am set up this way.

The problem is when I connect the IPCop WAN to the "mother-lan", and the
m0n0wall WAN to the IPCOP LAN. It does work, sort of: I do see the portal page,
but when I click the accept button, no logout window pops up, and I don't get a
re-direct, just a blank page. I can surf, and it is filtered, but I run into
DNS trouble, too. I think that as the DNS cache ages out in my pc, I am no
longer able to resolve things.

What am I missing? Which box is causing the trouble? Is my idea of doing it
this way possible, or isn't it?

Thanks!

Mark Ehle
Computer Support Librarian