[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  Michael Monaghan <mmonaghan at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP -> Windows Clients problems
 Date:  Sat, 11 Sep 2004 02:01:41 -0700
Mike,

Thanks for the advice, I have a question regarding AD and it's
reliance on DNS though...

> If you're running Win2000/2003 with Active Directory, DNS is required.
> Having to add WINS is an indicator something is hosed up.  Make sure
> you're DNS settings are pointing to correct servers and that the ports
> for those servers are accessible.  Also check the firewall rules on
> the laptops.  XPSP2 does some really ugly things to the XP firewall.
> Several of our tech have reported spontanious rule changes.

I am running a simple AD, just one forest, etc. in LocationA.  All my
hosts in LocationA use m0n0 to forward DNS requests to my PDC.  My PDC
is configured so that if any DNS requests are unresolved, it forwards
it to my ISP's DNS servers.

I have some more hosts at a "remote" location at LocationB.  LocationB
has a site2site VPN connection with LocationA (through two m0n0s).
The VPN is set up and operational as far as I can tell.  All hosts at
LocationA and LocationB are on the same domain and when all plugged
into LocationA, everything works like a charm.  It's when I have these
hosts, say X and Y at LocationB that funny things start happening.

With WinXP SP2, I've disabled the Windows Firewall.  When I connect to
a share from X to Y, I get "There are no logon servers available to
service the logon request".  It doesn't even prompt me for a local
user or a domain user, just straight out errors and stops.  Why?
(When I connect from Y to a share on X, everything is OK and I can
login as a local user on X.)

So, I understand AD relies heavily on DNS, so does that mean my hosts
at LocationB must set their DNS to the PDC at LocationA (through the
VPN)?  That would surely start getting messy afterawhile, but what
would be a good way to put this all together?

Thanks for your help.

/sylikc