[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 Cc:  dinesh at alphaque dot com, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] External Authentication
 Date:  Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:36:16 -0600
Mitch (WebCob) wrote:

>Seeing as how Dinesh is the captive portal guru, I figured I'd directly
>solicit his opinion... SSL isn't as much a need when you are authenticating
>people for hotspot access perhaps, but in this case, it sure would help.
>
>More thoughts below...

It might be.  I'm not running a public hotspot, but the principle is
roughly the same I think -- I'm running a wide open wireless access
point which connects to my OPT1 interface (Along with a few ports on my
switch for when I have visitors)

I allow internet access only through a captive portal, via RADIUS
authentication, or by establishing a VPN connection into m0n0wall (Also
RADIUS authenticated)

I would love to encrypt the username and passwords so that a guest (Who
doesn't get internet access) can't sniff any legitimate account
passwords and login.

--
Eat right, exercise, die anyway.