[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Why no MPPC? And PPTP Status page?
 Date:  Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:27:57 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Josh McAllister wrote:

> I find it hard to believe this hasn't been discussed before, yet I
> couldn't find anything in the archives. I'm more than a bit curious as
> to why MPPC is not available. All I've seen is a comment in the kernel
> config stating it's disabled because it uses files which aren't
> available.
>
> Is it that difficult to implement, or is there a compelling reason not
> to?

Typically that means that the code isn't distributable under the BSD
license.  It's quite likely that anything not distributable with xBSD
also wouldn't be distributable with m0n0wall.  That doesn't mean that some
(or all) users might not be able to use it, just that they'd have to add
it individually.

> It actually does increase performance by about 50% when accessing
> Exchange Server, and my users have noticed the difference since taking
> them of RAS.

How much it helps, or even whether it helps, depends on network speed
versus processor speed.  With a fast network and a slow processor (at
either end), it might actually make it slower.

					Fred Wright