[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: can m0n0wall do this?
 Date:  Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:57:20 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Chris Bagnall wrote:

> I'll be the first to admit it's none of my business, but I'd really hate to
> work at a place that wanted to lock down employees' internet usage in this
> way. Seems to me firewalls these days are being used as much for controlling
> the people behind them as for preventing unauthorized packets coming in...
> but that's a separate discussion ;-)

It's also sometimes out of concern for leaking proprietary information via
outgoing connections, either by deliberate (albeit perhaps unthinking)
action, or by infected software.  Of course the same managers that worry
about that will typically also insist on using Word documents for
everything, even though Word can be used to leak entire files.

					Fred Wright