[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Monaghan <mmonaghan at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall problems SOLVED! And some observations.
 Date:  Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:38:52 -0400
> Don't think that will work - my cable ISP only allows one machine to connect
> to the cablemodem.  There must be some way to identify the traffic from
> within m0n0wall... (like netstat -a  on a linux box)  possibly using
> exec.php
>
> I have little BSD experience, that's my drawback.

The BSD MAN pages are excellent but I alway have trouble mapping terminology.

Most cables MODEMS will MAC lock to the first adapter to attach.  That
won't stop the second computer from sniffing the connection.  You
won't be able to surf or do name resolution but you'll still be able
to capture packets.  You might have to assign a static IP but it
doesn't matter what the address is because the sniffing is done in
promiscuous (sp?) mode and the IP doesn't enter into the equation.

Hope this helps,

Mike