[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Different DHCP DNS Server list per Interface
 Date:  Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:14:30 -0700
James,

> My DHCP/DNS config On my tri-interface m0n0 (WAN, LAN, LAN2) in a nut shell:
> On my m0n0 DNS is supplied by ISP via DHCP, DNS forwarding is enabled, WAN
> DNS override is enabled. DHCP is enabled for the LAN2 interface only.
> On my SERVER uses the m0n0's LAN IP as a forwarder for the its DNS services.

> On my LAN the client machines get IP from DHCP on my SERVER and use the
> SERVER as DNS.
> On my LAN2 the client machines get IP from DHCP on the m0n0 and use the
> m0n0's LAN2 IP as DNS.

Enabling DHCP only on the LAN2 interface defeats the purpose of the
question.  (If you don't used DHCP on your LAN, of course you can set
DNS to whatever you want... or using another server to act as DHCP
isn't using m0n0 ;P).  I would like to run DHCP thru m0n0 on all my
interfaces, but assign different DNS servers per interface.  I'm aware
that if you set the DNS forwarder on, m0n0 provides it's interface IP
as the DNS server.  However, if the WAN DNS override is set to off, in
the end all resolution is still sent to the DNS server I set in
general setup.

The functionality I'm looking for, or would like to know if a hack is
even possible for... is the same way the WINS can be configured PER
interface.  So, the WINS server on LAN can be different than the WINS
server on LAN2 (both handed out via DHCP through m0n0wall).  Is a hack
of such a system even possible?  It would be extremely useful,
especially since I plan to have my LAN use a DNS server over VPN,
while I don't want the other untrusted hosts using that DNS server...

/sylikc