[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Ganbold <ganbold at micom dot mng dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: FreeBSD 5.x and Atheros
 Date:  Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:37:57 +0200
On 14.09.2004 18:26 +0900, Ganbold wrote:

> The reason why asked is Atheros wireless driver, which is not
> supported in  FreeBSD 4.10.

I know, everybody wants ath(4). ;) But believe me, at least FreeBSD
5.2.1 would most likely be a disappointment for all those who
currently run a reliable m0n0wall. I really hope 5.3 is better. I
realize that we can't stay with 4.x forever, but since they still
call 4.10 their "production release", I'd like to wait just a little
longer.

> Since Atheros is not supported in 4.x, is there any good wireless
> cards  that I can use ?
> Which one is best suited for m0n0wall ? Wireless card should have
> high  power and 14 channels.

The best cards I've ever come across (both in terms of transmit power
and receive sensitivity) are the Senao 11b cards. At least PRISM and
Lucent Hermes based cards can be reprogrammed (PDA) to allow all
channels. If you need 11a/g, there's unfortunately no option with
m0n0wall at the moment. Again, unless you have important reasons why
you'd like to keep everything on one box, IMHO a brand-name AP is
pretty much guaranteed to make you happier - even if m0n0wall was
based on FreeBSD 5.3.

- Manuel