[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ganbold <ganbold at micom dot mng dot net>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: FreeBSD 5.x and Atheros
 Date:  Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:05:47 +0900
Manuel,

At 06:37 PM 14.09.2004, you wrote:
>On 14.09.2004 18:26 +0900, Ganbold wrote:
>
> > The reason why asked is Atheros wireless driver, which is not
> > supported in  FreeBSD 4.10.
>
>I know, everybody wants ath(4). ;) But believe me, at least FreeBSD
>5.2.1 would most likely be a disappointment for all those who
>currently run a reliable m0n0wall. I really hope 5.3 is better. I
>realize that we can't stay with 4.x forever, but since they still
>call 4.10 their "production release", I'd like to wait just a little
>longer.

OK, I understand. I actually have more than 20 FreeBSD-5-CURRENT servers and
those are working well in production environment.

> > Since Atheros is not supported in 4.x, is there any good wireless
> > cards  that I can use ?
> > Which one is best suited for m0n0wall ? Wireless card should have
> > high  power and 14 channels.
>
>The best cards I've ever come across (both in terms of transmit power
>and receive sensitivity) are the Senao 11b cards. At least PRISM and
>Lucent Hermes based cards can be reprogrammed (PDA) to allow all
>channels. If you need 11a/g, there's unfortunately no option with
>m0n0wall at the moment. Again, unless you have important reasons why
>you'd like to keep everything on one box, IMHO a brand-name AP is
>pretty much guaranteed to make you happier - even if m0n0wall was
>based on FreeBSD 5.3.

The reason I want wireless AP on m0n0wall is - almost every feature is in
m0n0wall, I mean captive portal, radius support
firewall, dummynet etc. I hardly see any commercial APs which has all this
features:)
Also another main reason is development possibilities of m0n0wall since it
is FreeBSD based and
BSD licensed.

Ganbold