[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  "'C. Falconer'" <cfalconer at avonside dot school dot nz>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall problems SOLVED! And some observations.
 Date:  Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:13:03 -0400
I agree, aliases should be available system wide. I was just pointing to
what the config pages said. I would even go as far as to say the "Aliases"
config page belong under services.

It would be nice to use the same aliases that I setup for firewall, NAT,
traffic shaping rules elsewhere, for example:
General Setup - for DNS and NTP
Static routes - for destination (if single Host, i.e. /32)
DHCP - for WINS
Captive Portal - for RADIUS
PPTP - for RADIUS
System Logs - remote syslog server

This is what I can find with a quick look, there may be more. Of the above,
I point NTP and RADIUS for PPTP to a LAN address, but the others could come
in handy.

Is there underling reasons for not being able to use the aliases elsewhere?
The aliases are a separate section of the config.xml. I originally thought
the aliases end up in the "hosts" file, but they don't. Where does this
information go?

I do not have the skills to write code, I just hope to give ideas to those
with the skills.

James W. McKeand