[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>
 To:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Different DHCP DNS Server list per Interface
 Date:  Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:21:14 -0700
James,

> I should of pointed out that without a hack I do not know a way to do this
> though the default WebGUI. I probably should of held my response - it was
> very close to the end of a very long day... ;-)

Hack-a-time!  Not really... I'm not a hacker of m0n0 just yet, but
maybe I'll contribute when I figure out how to make something new
work.  And right, it's okay, it was a Friday, and I appreciate your
quick response anyhow. :)

> IMHO the DHCP supplied in devices such as m0n0 is intended to be simple and
> lightweight. They generally do not have the full complement of scope
> options. The WINS server is supplied, but is the NBT node type? (On a
> Windows DHCP server these are usually given out together) I could check, but
> I'm too lazy to go upstairs, fire up my son's pc, and do an ipconfig /all.

I haven't yet used WINS on my network for the sake that on one of the
other threads, the second I brought up WINS in a WIN2K network,
someone mentioned that if I have to rely on WINS, I have some issues
in the network infrastructure (which is quite true after I read up on
WINS).

> My advice would be to use a separate DHCP for your LAN, giving you the full
> flexibility of scope options. Let the "untrusted" guest users use the DNS
> Forwarder on the m0n0 - which should use the DNS supplied by your ISP. Do
> not give out WINS to the "untrusted". Your DMZ should be statically assigned
> IP - I assume this subnet contains just a few servers. The DMZ could still
> use the DNS (and WINS if you need it) on your LAN, but you will need rules
> to allow the traffic to the LAN.

So, you mentioned you used a DHCP / DNS server on your LAN.  What is
it running?  Maybe I'll have to set up a server in the LAN afterall
>_<

/sylikc