[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'marcelo'" <marcelo at bmsnet dot com dot br>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] MultiNatRedir
 Date:  Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:12:59 -0400
Not on the same internal port number. When a machine outside of your LAN
tries to connect to your SQL. They will initiate a session with the public
IP on port 1433. Which internal machine will get the connection? Think of
the confusion created when two people in a house pick up different
extensions on the same phone line. The caller will not be able tell who they
are talking to.

Your choices are:
1) change the port on the second SQL server (try something like 1434 - does
anyone else have feedback on  what port to use?).
2) Get an additional public IP.

In a nut shell:
One external IP + two internal IP = must be different ports
Two external IP + two internal IP = Can be same port

James W. McKeand