[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Greg Brown <gregbrown at mindspring dot com>
 To:  sylikc <sylikc at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [SPAM] Re: [m0n0wall] a DHCP default gateway question
 Date:  Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:40:11 -0400

> Greg,
>

>> In my current, and hopefully soon replaced, setup on my Linux DHCP
>> server provides the default gateway address via the "option routers
>> 192.168.15.1" command in /etc/dhcpd.conf.
>>
>> I don't see where, in m0n0wall under the DHCP pages, there is a place
>> to provide the default gateway.  I'd like the machines to be able to
>> move between the subnets seamlessly, but that would seen to require
>> the
>> gateway be served via DHCP.  Is there a way to do this?
>
> In m0n0 you don't have to explicitly set the default gateway.  There
> isn't a way to "set" the default gateway on the DHCP lease, because it
> will just be set to point to m0n0's interface IP address.
>
> You would be able to move the machiense between the subnets seamlessly
> by setting DHCP on those interfaces that you would like to move
> between.  As your machine connects to another interface, it will pick
> up the new lease and use the new gateway.
>

> /sylikc

Well, I do have DHCP set up on my LAN interface 192.168.15.0/24 and I
have
my WAN port connected to my ISP (cablemodem).  I cannot, from the LAN
segment, communicate with anything on the Internet (i.e. no web pages,
no
e-mail servers, nothing).  Here are my firewall rules and NAT rules:

LAN Interfaces:
Proto	Source	Port	Destination	Port	Description
*		LAN Net	*	*			*	default LAN -> ANY

My WAN rules are as follows:
Proto	Source	Port	Destination	Port	Destination
*		LAN net	*	*			*	Allow outgoing packets from LAN interface

My Outbound NAT rules are as follows:
Interface	Source			Destination	Target	Description
WAN	192.168.15.50/24	*			*		General outbound NAT rule

NOTE:  I've tried having no "WAN" rule as well as having the above WAN
rule and I get the same results: my clients on 192.168.15.0/24 cannot
communicate to the Internet.

Still, I cannot communicate.  Do you see anything wrong with my rule
sets?

Greg