[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Bert Mittelstedt" <mittelstedt at ferrari dash electronic dot de>
 To:  "Aaron" <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] DNS forwarder & OS X Printer Sharing over PPTP
 Date:  Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:56:52 +0200
Hello Aaron,

I'm using m0nowall at home too with a powerbook running 10.3.5. The
DNS-forwarder works fine for local entries with my four WinXP computers.
With the powerbook this is different. You can resolve the addresses with
dig but a ping doesn't work. I did some research and found out that the
domain .local changes the way of dns-resolving for local addresses from
normal dns-requests to dns-broadcasts under OSX. But m0n0wall naturally
doesn't respond to these broadcasts. So this should work if you change
your local domain away from .local.
But at this time I didn't try changing my dns-domain. So maybe this
doesn't work.
Eventually I try it tonight and can post some good or bad news.