[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lasse Laurila" <lasse at timehouse dot fi>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Salvaging configuration in the case of broken config floppy
 Date:  Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:28:11 +0300
A year ago I set up an old PC box to serve as a firewall. It boots from CD and uses a floppy disk to
store it's configuration. It has been running continuously ever since.

Today I logged in with my web browser and deleted a rule. It took ages to save and finally I got
this error:

	XML error: no m0n0wall object found!

I took the disk from the firewall machine and found out it was broken. All I found was partly
destroyed directory entry pointing to config.xml, all actual XML data was gone.

I have the box still up and running, but now I can't even log in (same error appears immediately
after username/password inquiry). I connected a monitor to the box and all I see is this menu with
some basic config and reboot options.

Is there any way I could salvage the configuration? Can it be written back to a (working) floppy
from RAM?

Lasse