[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Thomas Hertz <thomas at hz dot se>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] nice, somewhat easy to implement features [IMO]
 Date:  Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:25:24 +0200
Mohammad Hasieb Ali wrote:

> I love m0n0wall a lot, but some things would [seem] be easy to
> implement into it, and they might be nice features:
>
> #1. Version display: How are we supposed to remember in a few
> (hours/days/months/years)
> what version of m0n0wall we have. The update instructions seem
> different for every pb**. A little version at the top, bottom, or on
> the info page would be nice.

Isn't this already visible under System->Status ?

> #2. A "fetchable" status script. Something that would display
> everything in the LAN/WAN info, status, uptime, version (or not?)
> but would be safe from SSL/Login. I could just visit it, and it would
> display, or i could code a php script to fetch it.
> This thing could have its own config page, for the file name, allowed
> hosts.... actually, its possible to login through AuthConfig through a
> sort of script interface. So I guess a status page would be nice.

How about http://<m0n0wall ip>/cgi-bin/status.cgi ? It wouldn't be bad
to be able to fetch some kind of xml-parseable status file though.

> #3. Someone just brought this up: A console menu. Pretty much, it
> would function like a keypad lock on a cellular phone. Good Idea.

I agree. Also it could be nice to be able to add some configuration
tasks here. But that's really not necessary.

> #4. SSH possibilities. That would be nice :D I could easily code my
> own scripts to do blah and stop bitching on the mailing list :P

I do NOT agree. :) I do not see any reason to why anyone would want to
get shell access to their firewall. I'd recommend you try using the
information under m0n0wall hacking guide to set up network booting. That
way it's easy to modify the m0n0wall in any way you would like, without
worrying about wearing out the flash card.

> #5 ^^ Look at #4. Thats a good suggestion. It deserves two numbers.

No. It does not. :P

Cheers,

--
Thomas Hertz