[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Thomas Hertz <thomas at hz dot se>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] snmp / mrtg, how to get started
 Date:  Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:33:15 +0200
Michel Schilthuizen wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I am happy to see that snmp was added to M0n0wall. This should get me started
>on having bandwidth graphs.

Me too, just look at http://stats.cynisk.net/10.0.0.1_2.html ! Nice huh?
And this pretty output only required me to run the command "mrtgcfgmaker
public@<m0n0wall IP> >mrtg.conf" and set up a cron job to run "mrtg
mrtg.conf" every 5 minutes. It could probably be made prettier, but it
makes a good start.

>However, I am not really able to figure out how it should work. I assume
>M0n0wall sends snmptraps to a machine (what does system contact mean), which
>logs the traps, which are used by mrtg?
>
>Could anyone point me to a website at which this is further explained?

The MRTG site at http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/ is a
good start.
http://www.rescomp.berkeley.edu/about/training/senior/progs/SNMP-HOWTO/SNMP-HOWTO.html
is another which explains the SNMP protocol a little more in detail,
with focus on ucd-snmp (which is what m0n0wall uses).

--
Thomas Hertz