[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras dot com>
 To:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 Cc:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cheaper solution than Soekris?
 Date:  Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:55:15 -0700
Chad R. Larson wrote:

> Yes, but then you need to consider the Soekris net4801, which has a 266MHz
> processor, three ethernets, two serial, one parallel, an IDE drive
> interface, USB 1.1, CF socket, PCI interface, power and temperature
> monitoring, hardware watchdog, etc., etc.
>
> $292US for one with case and power supply, $278 for 2-4.

Be warned -- Soren may be a good electrical engineer, but
he isn't a computer engineer.  The case supplied with the
net4801 is completely inadequate in terms of ventilation
for use with a 2.5" HD -- even though it appears to be
designed to hold it (with the mounting kit).  I'm running
with the case lid off until I come up with a long-term solution.