[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras dot com>
 Cc:  "Mitch (WebCob)" <mitch at webcob dot com>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cheaper solution than Soekris?
 Date:  Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:02:56 -0700
At 01:55 PM 10/21/2003 -0700, Michael Sierchio wrote:

>Chad R. Larson wrote:
>
>>Yes, but then you need to consider the Soekris net4801, which has a
>>266MHz processor, three ethernets, two serial, one parallel, an IDE drive
>>interface, USB 1.1, CF socket, PCI interface, power and temperature
>>monitoring, hardware watchdog, etc., etc.
>>$292US for one with case and power supply, $278 for 2-4.
>
>Be warned -- Soren may be a good electrical engineer, but
>he isn't a computer engineer.  The case supplied with the
>net4801 is completely inadequate in terms of ventilation
>for use with a 2.5" HD -- even though it appears to be
>designed to hold it (with the mounting kit).  I'm running
>with the case lid off until I come up with a long-term solution.

I agree about the hard drive, but I don't necessarily consider a machine
with a spinning disk an embedded system.  Works fine as a
router/firewall/traffic shaper/, especially if stuck in a rack in a
properly cooled data center.

I'm not sure Soekris considers that case for production anyway.  They've
got references to OEM cases on the web site.  I'd go for the 6.5", if I
weren't planning to use a hard drive.  It would be hard to beat that
holding a net4801 in a bang per cubic inch contest.

          -crl
   Eldorado
Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite