[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cheaper solution than Soekris?
 Date:  Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:17:45 -0700
Chad R. Larson wrote:

> I agree about the hard drive, but I don't necessarily consider a machine
> with a spinning disk an embedded system.

Red herring, monsieur!  I own a few net4501s which I use as
firewalls and IDS sensors.  The net4801 has a miniATA connector
right there on the motherboard, and the case was designed to
accomodate the 2.5" drive using the supplied mounting kit --
which it does, unless you power it up ;-)  I call it a defective
design.

> Works fine as a
> router/firewall/traffic shaper/, especially if stuck in a rack in a
> properly cooled data center.

The cooling problems with the HD are easily demonstrated with an
ambient temp of 60 F.  I believe that refutes your assertion.

> I'm not sure Soekris considers that case for production anyway.  They've
> got references to OEM cases on the web site.

Re: sentence #1: they shouldn't sell it; re: sentence #2: where?