[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: FreeBSD 5.x
 Date:  Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:17:07 +0200
On 18.09.2004 10:02 -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> My recent success story: I use a Cisco 340 access point at home.  I
> wanted to figure out a way to have an internal network that was
> WEP-protected [1] and a guest network that doesn't require WEP, but
> requires some other kind of authentication that I can hand out to
> houseguests.  It turns out the 340 supports multiple wireless
> networks (with different SSIDs and WEP parameters), which then get

On a related note, my Cisco 350 has been the first 802.11b access
point I've encountered that could be firmware upgraded to support WPA
(TKIP) - for free. And of course it works perfectly. Cisco gear tends
to be (much) more expensive, but worth the money (I once had > 1 year
uptime on that thing...). OK, enough raving about Cisco. ;)

> bridged onto different VLANs on the single Ethernet port.  So I set
> up a couple of VLANs on a m0n0wall box and turned on captive portal
> support for the VLAN corresponding to the guest network.  As Emeril
> Lagasse would say, *BAM!*

Cool!

- Manuel