[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mateusz Papiernik <mati at maticomp dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Problems installing m0n0wall od HDD
 Date:  Sun, 19 Sep 2004 12:18:15 +0200
Hi!

I've got normal PC with HDD (not CF) inside. It's acctually blank, no
partitions, no filesystems, no MBR. What should I do to install m0n0wall?

Instruction says:

Download the raw CF/IDE image (generic-pc), write the image to a CF
card (> 5 MB) or an IDE hard disk, either with dd under FreeBSD or
under Windows with my tool, physdiskwrite 0.5

     * Linux:
       gunzip -c generic-pc-xxx.img | dd of=/dev/hdX bs=16k
       where X = the IDE device name of your HD/CF card

put the CF card/HD into the target PC
plug the PC into the network (LAN/WAN/...)
power it up

But I can't do dd if I haven't got any partitions (hda1 does not exist
then). When I create FreeBSD partition with no filesystem (using
fdisk), and I dd - it does nothing (dd finishes ok, but it does not
boot). So I've got a question to you all:

- how should i create partitions for m0n0wall, which filesystems
should I create using mk...fs, and how can I make it boot?

I haven't had any FreeBSD knowledge yet.

Thanks in advance,

--
Mateusz Papiernik, Maticomp Webdesign (http://www.maticomp.net)
One man can make a difference