[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall mbufs exhausted
 Date:  Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:59:57 -0400
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:28:45 -0400, Chet Harvey <chet at pittech dot com> wrote:
> You are under heavy load. There is a post on the subject here:
>
> http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=41&actionargs[]=67
>
> When your m0n0 is under use, se netstat -m to check the current
> configuration/load. you will probably see it is pegged.
>
> I think a standard increase value of:
>
> kern.ipc.nmbclusters=16384
>
> in loader.conf MAY help. Depending on your systems speed. Not sire about the
> driver for rhine NICS. I know realteks are an issue since the ipstack in the
> drivers blows.

That'll hide the symptoms, but masks the problem.  Unless it is a
highly loaded system on a fat internet connection, it shouldn't be
doing that.  If it is legitamately heavily loaded, then this isn't an
problem, and up your nmbclusters.

Otherwise I think you should check for worm infected hosts pummeling
your firewall into oblivion, or some other heavy/odd source of
traffic.

-Chris