[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Dinesh Nair" <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 Cc:  "Bernie Kucharski" <bkucharski at defiantracing dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall embedded with RADIUS Server
 Date:  Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:57:50 -0700
> which is exactly what i think should be prevented. as the
> username/password
> pairs will be stored within config.xml, there needs to be a
> realistic limit
> on this. additionally, as has been pointed out, i dont think m0n0
> should be
> a holder for tens or hundreds of captive portal accounts. there's the
> RADIUS support to handle that. for small number of users though, the
> overheads of setting up RADIUS may not make sense, hence the ability to
> support about 16 users. of course, someone modifying the m0n0
> source could
> bump this number up, but then i'd expect that someone to know what they
> were doing when they did that.

Sure. However, in the cases where the users are running a single AP (this is
not my case, I'm not arguing for me, just consolidating my understanding of
comments I've seen here) then there may be a very valid reason to have 10 or
maybe yes, 100 accounts - make 16 a default, but maybe configurable? Don't
force people to have to build their own image to change it to 20 ;-) Their
slowdown or difficulty of config is their own problem, and is also based on
their hardware platform and resources... if a D-Link dsa-3100 can handle
hundred of users, we should say "16 - you cross the line you die!" :P

just my 2 canadian cents (still much less in other currencies)

m/