[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John ." <jvoigt at gmail dot com>
 To:  newmedia42 at excite dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Shaper/MRTG/IP usage question...
 Date:  Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:02:24 -0400
It just means that your firewall rule is not matching.  Make sure the
rule is doing what you want it to do.

John Voigt - Glad to see that someone is getting use of my idea. :-)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:33:09 -0400 (EDT), NewMedia42
<newmedia42 at excite dot com> wrote:

> I'm using the method outlined by John Voigt for feeding data into MRTG, basically adding a Traffic
Shaper rule for the inbound and outbound data, then using a custom php page to output the results of
ipfw show; followed by a bit of perl code on the MRTG end a voila!  IP stats!

> Now, this works fine on my home deployment of mono, running on a 4801, but I just built a 3gig P4
system running the generic mono PC image and it doesn't appear to be working correctly.  When I do
the show, I see the following (I replace the first three octets with x):

> 50002       0         0 pipe 1 ip from x.x.x.1 to any via rl0
>
> 50003     168      4704 pipe 1 ip from any to x.x.x.1 via rl0
>
> It obviously is tracking the data Inbound, but not Outbound.  I should also point out that I'm
trying to track this on the 3rd NIC, which I have bridged with the WAN interface, with filter bridge
enabled.  The only other interesting thing is that if I put the rule on the WAN interface then it
won't show ANY stats (this is true of my home install as well) - it only shows stats if on the LAN
or OPT interface.