[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Greenwood" <lists at silverblade dot co dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RADIUS, m0n0wall, and modules
 Date:  Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:20:21 +0100
I must admit I haven't been watching the RADIUS debate, primarily because I
had no clue what RADIUS is for, until a friend mentioned it to me.

It might be useful to have a separate product (m0n0-RADIUS?) for dedicated
RADIUS machines, again maybe on a CF card?

Anything is possible really - a simple web server that doesn't change the
files at runtime, a user authentication server (or is this what RADIUS is?),
network bridge, printer server...

These could either be separate projects (which would probably waste a
Soekris box) or they could be modules for m0n0wall. In which case, it might
be worth having a base product called "m0n0box" or something, where you add
on modules (firewall, NAT, RADIUS) to tailor it to your needs.

Would be a lot of work, but would result in a flexible product.

But then there is the question of security - if you can install extra things
on the firewall, it obviously risks the security of the firewall box itself.

Just more thoughts :)