[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Alexander C.H. Lorenz" <al at dsncon dot de>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  AW: [m0n0wall] Re: FreeBSD 5.x
 Date:  Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:54:08 +0200

> If memory serves me right, Dinesh Nair wrote:
>
> > now that's real cool. i'd never experimented with using
> VLANs together
> > with the captive portal.

Captive Portals via VLAN work also, but u need a very good equipment
like Cisco switches with excellent VLAN tagging.
VLAN over Wireless can't really work, I belive, it was a joke (or know
anyone a VLAN ready wireless card?)

> > however, i would support manuel's
> assertion
> > that it's much, much better to get a good external AP and then use
> > that for the
> > 802.11 needs. hostap just doesn't cut it for me either, and
> i've had
> > varying levels of frustration with it.
>
> Exactly, the point of my story was that this was an example
> of the kind of flexibility that you couldn't get with hostap.

Hmm, I use a 3com PCI Wireless Card 11 mbit, our version of m0n0wall as
AP with 128' WEP, Captive Portal, DHCP and a lot of Rules - and we
didn't gotten any problems yet.
Customers where authenticated via Radius (-> openbsd), the connection is
going via VLAN into another network and then via a second m0n0 into the
internet.
I can say, m0n0-AP with valid cards (man wi) more reliable as standard
AP's from Netgear or Allnet ;-)

- Alex