[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WRAP 1D-1 and IPSEC VPN
 Date:  Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:54:03 -0400
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:03:29 -0400, William Arlofski
<waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com> wrote:

> Has anyone setup, or done any benchmarks/testing with this combination?
> I am looking at PCengines WRAP 1D-1 (2lan) board as a remote site
> firewall, and VPN client to a client's main site.

Please search Google and/or the list archives prior to posting (Google
has the list archives indexed).  Google search of 'm0n0wall ipsec
performance wrap', and what do you know, here's the first result.

http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=62&actionargs[]=57

> Will the CPU usage of the VPN  traffic seriously impact the device's
> ability to perform it functions as a NAT firewall on a DSL, or
> cablemodem connection?

Neither of those connections is going to be fast enough to overwhelm a
WRAP even with a decent amount of VPN usage.  I run a Soekris 4501,
much slower than a WRAP, on a 4 Mb cable connection with 4 site to
site VPN's that get used pretty heavily and I experience no
performance degradation at all.

-Chris