[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Vittore Zen <drzen at gamebox dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Two DSL traffic shape?
 Date:  Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:33:28 -0400
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:01:55 +0200, Vittore Zen <drzen at gamebox dot net> wrote:
> <>Situation:
> We have two DSL 1,2 Mbps lines.
> We have two departmens in a single lan (same ip subnet).
> We need to load balancing internet access and do a  fault tolerance
> system. (I will do this with a LinkSys RV016 router)
>
> But, due payment problems, I want that:
> if department A use 100% of  first DSL band (suppose a massive use of
> internet browsing) and department B use 150% of second DSL (a
> super-massive use of browing) the computer with ip address of department
> A use only first DSL line  and computer with ip address of department B
> use only second DSL. So every departments have the sum of DSL band in
> normal period but his DSL speed in intesive period.
> <>

In short, no that's not possible.

For what you're describing to be even remotely possible, you'd have to
have both DSL connections into the m0n0wall.  Even at that, it
wouldn't do what you describe.

What you could do is use traffic shaper to limit what each can use,
but that doesn't dynamically detect how much of the link is used, etc.

-Chris